Sunday, October 25, 2009

Unit 4


For months I've needed to take this final shot to complete Unit 4. In this head and shoulders portrait, the assignment was to use a single umbrella light to one side of the face and a reflector board to the other, bouncing light back to open up the shadow side of the face. Luckily I had a small white umbrella that NYI sent after I paid for the course. For a light, I used a flash unit on a remote cable. The reflector board I used was a foam core poster board. I don't think it's any coincidence that this photo was the last one I had to take. Flash baffles me. I don't really know how to control its intensity other than bouncing it off the ceiling. The pamphlet that came with my flash is small and brief and not too helpful. Looks like I'd better put some time into this area. My daughter just set a timer and now I have four minutes to finish this up because she wants to play some fairy game online with a cousin in Phoenix! Thanks to my son, Henry, for letting me blind him with the flash so many times. Times up.

4 comments:

  1. And thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I miss Henry and all of you soo much. This summer we are driving up for sure. He is looking a lot like Ron, but, a tall version, like the Winceks. Wow! Nice portrait. Love it. Can you send me one to put in my house??? Do you answer your fan mail? ~Holly~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent portrait photo Mickey. You don't know me but I know Ron, Wayne and Holly and their parents Bill and Ruth. Went to PVHS with them. My name is Patrick Mitchell and I was married to Ruth's sister Tina. Have a daughter named Beth. I studied photography at GCC in the late '60s, early '70s. Love photography and I traveled when I could all over AZ taking photos when I traveled around playing drums in a country rock band all over the southwest. I have heard of Ron's glass etching art and Wayne's painting work but have not seen any. Henry sure looks like Ron. I can be reached at pepperdrumstix@yahoo.com if you want to talk photography. I was the first freshman photography student in GCC history to have his own show on campus. Have over 1000 slides and photos. I don't photograph much any more but I would like to get a new digital camera and start taking photos again, even for the weather photos on the local news. Thank you and keep up the fine work. Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Patrick. Ron's website is glasstonestudio.com and Wayne's is www.waynespaintings.com. Do you have any of your photos online?

    ReplyDelete